If you’re worried about the health of your gums or have been advised to see a periodontist, you’re in the right place. Beyond your daily brushing and flossing routine, there’s a significant aspect of dental wellness that’s worth exploring – periodontal treatment.
In this blog post, we’ll walk you through the basics of periodontal in Medford, shedding light on the different types of treatments available and their importance in maintaining excellent oral health.
Understanding Gum Disease
Gum diseases, collectively known as periodontal diseases, exist on a spectrum ranging from mild inflammation to severe infection. The two most common types are:
- Gingivitis: Gingivitis is usually caused by plaque buildup, and if addressed promptly, it can be reversed with proper oral hygiene and professional cleanings.
- Periodontitis: In periodontitis, the inflammation extends deeper into the supporting tissues and can lead to pockets forming between the gums and teeth. These pockets can become infected and cause the loss of bone and tissue that support the teeth.
Types of Periodontal Treatment
- Professional Dental Cleaning: Regular cleanings by a dental hygienist can help remove plaque and tartar buildup, reducing the risk of gum disease.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Also known as deep cleaning, this procedure involves removing plaque and tartar from below the gumline and smoothing the tooth roots to prevent further buildup.
- Flap Surgery: In cases of advanced periodontitis, where pockets have formed, flap surgery might be necessary. The gums are lifted, and the dentist can access and clean the infected areas, after which the gums are sutured back in place.
- Bone Grafts: To regenerate lost bone tissue, grafts can be placed in areas of bone loss to promote new bone growth.
- Soft Tissue Grafts: These are used to cover exposed tooth roots or augment thinning gums, enhancing both aesthetics and function.
Want to Know More About Periodontal in Medford?
If you’re in search of top-notch periodontal care, look no further. At Northwoods Dentistry, we specialize in providing comprehensive solutions for your gum health. We are committed to delivering personalized treatments that cater to your unique needs. Contact us!